About Community Education
|What is Community Education?
Community Education, the educational philosophy that underlies community schools, advocates the creation of opportunities for community members — individuals, schools, businesses, and public and private organizations — to become partners in addressing community needs. Community Education is most easily recognized in the community school, a facility that is open beyond the traditional school day for the purpose of providing academic, recreation, health, social service, and work-preparation programs for people of all ages.
What Do We Do?
Charleston County Community Education oversees facility use of school buildings, develops and implements program activities, and helps strengthen the community. Depending on location and local need, programs and activities may include: family resources, parent involvement, school-to-work opportunities, school-age child care and extended learning programs; community service and service learning activities; enrichment programs for all community members; and Adult Basic Education and Graduate Equivalency Diploma (GED) programs.
The CE program works with community members to identify community needs and the resources available to meet them. The program promotes cooperation, partnerships, and collaboration in serving the needs of the local community. Community Education has three basic components:
- Implementing the principle that learning continues throughout life.
- Providing formal and informal learning opportunities.
- Offering programs and services for all community members, often in an intergenerational setting.
- Promoting a sense of civic responsibility.
- Providing leadership opportunities for community members.
- Including diverse populations in all aspects of community life.
- Encouraging democratic procedures in local decision making.
Efficient Use of Resources
- Using the school's and the community's physical, financial, and human resources to address the community's needs.
- Reducing duplication of services by promoting collaborative effort.